A letter to students from Disciplinary Committee
October 7, 2021
Bar-Ilan University is happy to open its gates as we begin the 2021-2022 academic year. Our best wishes to you for a healthy year and a successful, satisfying and productive one.
At Bar-Ilan we insist on values of mutual respect, personal honesty and academic and exam integrity. We view these as central values for maintaining proper society. During this time of hybrid instruction combining in-person and online formats, we would like to emphasize sections of the academic policy documents based on these central values:
- Respectful behavior – Show respect for every person, be they students, employees or instructors. Any form of physical or verbal violence toward another student or a university employee, whether faculty, administrative staff or service providers, will be addressed by the Disciplinary Committee. Sexual harassment will be treated with utmost severity.
- Work submission – Any academic work submitted as part of university studies must be submitted via the Moodle platform (or any other secure platform as requested by the instructor). You must sign the declaration of originality form accompanying any assignment or work submitted. Be sure to submit original assignments that you alone have prepared. You may not submit work that has been copied, even partially, from another source, including from the internet. You may not submit work that has been purchased or written for you by a third party. You may not sell academic work. When you need to quote from other sources, do so in accordance with the guidelines indicated in the library and information services website. We’d like to point out that submission of unoriginal work may lead to severe measures, from disqualification from a course or even suspension from studies at Bar-Ilan University.
- Exam integrity – In this section we address exam integrity under normal circumstances (that is, not the coronavirus period); we will address exam integrity under corona separately.
Keep in mind that exams taken honestly and with integrity give professional and ethical credence to your academic degree.
- In-class exams – Exam integrity should be strictly maintained at all times. This includes following all exam instructions as specified by the instructors and exam proctors. No supplementary material may be taken with you into the exam beyond what is permitted explicitly by the course instructor. It is forbidden to have a mobile phone (even if turned off) or any other smart electronic device (such as a smartwatch) with you or within your reach. Please be sure to comply with this rule to avoid an undesirable situation. An innocent "I forgot" will not be accepted as an excuse by the Disciplinary Committee if a mobile device is found in your possession. The Disciplinary Committee intends to enforce Bar-Ilan University Senate guidelines to the letter, and you will be disqualified from the course without further discussion. Restroom breaks during exams will be permitted as per guidelines and accompanied by a proctor. Unfortunately, there have been cases where students took advantage of restroom breaks to use cellphones or material planted ahead of time in violation of exam policy. Such actions are viewed with gravity by the Disciplinary Committee and will be addressed with utmost severity.
- Online exams during the coronavirus period – In addition to the above, a declaration of exam originality must be signed before online exams. Use of unauthorized material or access to external websites that have not been permitted explicitly are strictly forbidden, as is collaboration with anyone else or interaction with other students, even if not for purpose of obtaining assistance and is for technical issues only. No supplementary material may be used in the exam beyond what has been explicitly permitted by the course instructor.
- Please keep in mind that the academic faculty and the administrative staff are carrying out their jobs faithfully. Follow their instructions, grant them your respect and be cooperative.
In general, disciplinary violations are addressed by Bar-Ilan’s Disciplinary Committee. The Disciplinary Committee acts as per the disciplinary code found on the Bar-Ilan website. As indicated in the disciplinary code, if the Disciplinary Committee comes to the conclusion that a disciplinary violation has occurred, it is authorized to impose punitive actions – even suspension from studies. You may take a look at Disciplinary Committee decisions from last year on the Ethics and Discipline web page.
Protecting your own dignity and the dignity of others is your obligation and responsibility!
Please make every effort to avoid the undesirable situation of appearing before the Disciplinary Committee.
May the upcoming year bring peace and joy, health and success.
The Academic Secretariat
תאריך עדכון אחרון : 07/10/2021